Topic : Rainy Day
- Do you like rainy days?
Yes, absolutely! I love all the freshness around, the cool breeze and petrichor after heavy rain. It’s wonderful!
- What do you do on rainy days?
Well, rainy days are the best days to watch movies I have been longing to watch or catch up on my unfinished reading. Movies and books will take up my whole day. Sometimes, I would rather spend the day with my pet and teach it new tricks.
- Does it rain much in your country? (Where? When?)
As it is entirely located in the tropical belt, it receives quite a great amount of precipitation every year. However, the part that records the highest rainfall in the northern part. This region can also be affected by the typhoon season in the Western Pacific, which can see severe storms lashing the coast from August to November.
- Is there any part of your country where it doesn’t rain much? (Where?)
In general, I guess the driest place might possibly be X, which is situated on the south-central coast. The weather there is quite extreme with a lot of wind as well as a hot and dry atmosphere during the year. Also, there is no winter here, and the average temperature is considerably higher than in most other parts of the country.
- Does it rain much in your hometown? Can you remember any time when it rained particularly heavily? (When?)
Yes, of course. I suppose it was about a year or so ago, when we had several days of torrential rain, almost non-stop, and so the whole of my neighborhood got flooded. You know, the water was, like, up to my knees, and so the traffic came to a complete standstill. So, yeah, that was probably the worst time I can remember.
- Does rain ever affect transportation in your hometown? (How?)
Yeah, for sure. As a matter of fact, rain often causes severe traffic congestion, especially when there is a heavy downpour. People should expect to be stuck for hours in a traffic jam. I’m not exactly sure why, but it’s possibly because vehicles tend to move slower in the rain
- Petrichor: a pleasant smell that frequently accompanies the first rain after a long period of warm
Ex: It’s so soothing to smell the petrichor
- Precipitation: rain, snow, sleet, or hail that falls to or condenses on the ground.
Ex: This is due to a process called precipitation
- Standstill: Staying stiff
Ex: Her dreams came to a standstill when she saw her brother.
- Congestion: The state of being congested.
Ex: There is some congestion in the place.
- Downpour: a heavy fall of rain
Ex: There was a downpour this morning