IELTS Speaking Part 3
Topic : Free time & Hobbies
In this post, we would like to put an emphasis on IELTS Speaking Part 3 topic Free time & Hobbies.
1. How do people in your country spend free time?
Well, I think it depends on personality. People who are active are likely to hang out and spend more time outdoor. They may join in some clubs, make new friends or involve in some social activities to amuse themselves. On the other hand, introvert people tend to idle away the hours staying indoors and spending quality time with their families.
2. Is there any difference in spending free time now with the past?
Yes, it seems to me that cutting-edge technology has great impact on how people spend their free time. While youngsters in the past spent more time outdoors to play some traditional games, youngsters today play video games or surf the internet that’s why leisure pursuits today make people less active and creative than they used to be.
3. Does this change bring any advantage?
From my point of view, this modification has certain benefits. Browsing the internet allows people to update latest news freely and conveniently. That’s a good way to be in touch with the world. Besides, playing video games isn’t only good for mental but also physical health. It helps reducing stress ,depression and boosts the mood. Interactive games are fast-paced so players have to pay full attention or else they’ll lose. That’s why players are likely to focus and have better motor skills than normal person.
4. How does finance affect the way people spend free time?
I see finance has profound impact on spending in spare time. While affluent people tend to spend their time playing golf or chilling out at spas, people having low income are likely to spend time at home, watch a movie. The more money we have, the more money we spend so that’s why leisure pursuits vary according to finance.
5. Is it important to have a hobby? / Why is it important for people to have free-time activities?
I personally believe that hobby is a remedy for fatigue. Since you choose that activity, it will always give you pleasure and help you to unwind. Even if you indulge in your hobby for a short period of time, you still can feel the difference in your energy level and spirit. While you pursue a hobby, you may discover that you have a talent for something unusual as well which you do not know about so far. One more thing is that it also an a chance to meet amazing people of similar taste when you join in any club.
6. Is it harmful to spend too much time on a hobby?
Yes, I do agree to some extent. While having a hobby allows people to unwind after stressful days, over-indulgence in anything could do more harm than good. Lots of people spend too much time on playing games or going to parties without realizing that they are wasting precious time. For instance, a student spend long hours to play game will lead to bad academic performance at school. So people should balance between their life and hobby.
7. What free-time activities would you like to try in the future?
I suppose it depends on my mood. If I feel energetic, i’d like to have a crack at exciting sports like football to be more flexible and get into shape. On the other hand, I’d like to take up some instrumental music . I find it very relaxing and interesting to play some piece of music when I feel sad.
Vocabulary For Speaking Part 3
- Involve in: difficult to understand
Ex: She is more involved in sports than studies.
- Idle away the hours: to spend a period of time relaxing and doing very little.
Ex: He has idled away the hours this weekend.
- Great impact on: to have a strong and bad effect on .
Ex: Sita had a great impact on her sister.
- Leisure pursuits: usually activities that you enjoy when you are not working.
Ex: They are having various leisure pursuits after the office hours
- Modification: change or alteration, usually to make something better.
Ex: There are some modifications in the projects of architecture
- Interactive: involving the actions
Ex: Yesterday’s class was quite interactive for students
- Motor skills: learning ability to cause a predetermined movement
Ex: Motor skills help you in various ways.
- Affluent: Having an abundance of goods or riches
Ex: He is the most affluent person in our society.